Monday, December 26, 2011

My Dad and Why I'm Shaving Every Day

My father's death hasn't hit me fully yet, it has been such a whirlwind since December 17th dealing with the funeral plans, helping my mom, and trying to get everything done. I'm sure I will write many things about my dad over time, so I can look back and remember.




For now, though, I'll just say that I'm shaving every day for the next year (and maybe beyond) for my dad. That may not seem to be much for some people, who may do that every day anyway. I'm an infrequent shaver, though, because I hate it. Every third or fourth day was typical. I also hadn't shaved at all since before Thanksgiving, so when I went to Texas to see my parents I had a full beard. My dad said something about it. This isn't about feeling bad that the last time he saw me I had a beard.

I have a few reasons for doing it:

1) my dad was always clean shaven in recent years. I know from looking at old pictures in the 70's that wasn't always the case, but as long as I can remember, it is true;
2) shaving is symbolic for me of routine. A few years ago, during a particularly rough time, it was my dad who was my routine, calling me every morning to make sure I was doing okay. By anchoring myself with a routine that takes a little time each morning, I can both think of my dad, and try to get something accomplished.

So there you have it. The next time you see me I will be a little more presentable. Maybe kids won't be scared of me either.

No comments:

Post a Comment