Saturday, June 4, 2011

What I've Been Reading

I like to follow several blogs, and often they like to include summaries and book reviews of what they have been reading lately, including Tom Gower at Residual Prolixity and Chris at Smart Football. I too spend a fair amount of my time reading so I thought I would give a review of some of the things I have been finished lately.


Crocodaddy by Kim Norman. It's the story of a father* and a son at a dock, and the book goes through as the son tries to capture the crocodaddy as he slithers underneath the water. It got to the point that I didn't even have to say any words, because the girls had it memorized and would recite it entirely. The payoff at the end was a little predictable, as the crocodile was wearing the same color shorts as the dad in the opening frame, so that anyone over the age of 2 years should have picked up on who the crocodile really was. If you can get past that, it was a wonderfully illustrated and winding tale for summer.

*there was much debate in my house over whether it was the boy's brother or father. I tried to point out, rather logically I thought, that the book was entitled Crocodaddy and they probably wouldn't have done that if it was the brother. The issue, though, was that the father was boyish looking and had a clean shaven face. My girls are conditioned that daddies have five day's growth of stubble.

If You're a Monster and You Know It by Rebecca and Ed Emberley. This book follows the song "If you're happy and you know it", but with monsters. So it's completely different. Not a fan of the artwork, but the kids love it. Do not read this one near bed time, though. They tend to get fired up (fails to follow own advice every night).

Discovery Kids' Desert. Deserts can be cold, people. Stop stereotyping. That's what I got out of this after 50 pages.

No comments:

Post a Comment